‘Data Education in Schools’ is a UK and Scottish Government funded project to teach data literacy and data citizenship skills to learners ages 3-18 years old in the Edinburgh and surrounding area. It is an eight year project that aims to reach all learners within the six local authorities of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal.
The Data Education in Schools vision is to be a world-leading data education centre supporting young people across the region to develop the confidence, competence and ambition to use data to benefit themselves and their communities.
We offer high quality, evidence-based education about data to all young people regardless of gender, location or socio-economic background
We aim to:
- Support young people to be aware of their data rights and responsibilities
- Support young people to use and interpret data critically and ethically to inform decision-making
- Offer sustainable skills progression to the teaching profession based on research-informed pedagogy
- Ensure that the values of ‘data for good’ underpin curriculum development and uses real-world data sets and problems, scenarios
- Ensure that our approach is research-led and evidence-based
- Support the integration of schools, university, community and industry in partnership
The core activities of the project are:
- Creation of the NPA Data Science
- Development of Data Education Resources
- Delivery of a range of professional learning events
Data Education in Schools is part of a wider programme to develop data driven innovation within the region, with the ambition of making Edinburgh the data capital of Europe. Data Education in Schools will work with Edinburgh, Midlothian, East Lothian, West Lothian, Fife and Borders local authorities, as well as the local further education colleges, Edinburgh Napier and Heriot Watt universities and local employers to offer opportunities to learners at all stages over the 8 year period of the project.
You can find out more about the Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Deal at: http://esescityregiondeal.org.uk/
Data Education in Schools is part of the Data Driven Innovation Skills Gateway. You can find out more about the gateway at: https://ddi.ac.uk/