The assessment for the Data Citizenship unit involves an online computer based assessment and a practical assessment. We have made up an example practical assessment so that you can see what’s involved and be able to practice the sort of skills that will be involved in the real assessment. Hopefully it will help you to see that it’s nothing to worry about!
What will be assessed?
In this assessment you will need to download a dataset from a link given to you. You will need to carry out simple summaries of the data and interpret the data to answer some questions or solve a problem with the dataset. After choosing the best types of visualisation to use to show that interpretation you will need to create two visualisations. You will then need to make recommendations based on your interpretation of the dataset.
This resource combines 2 elements:
Part 1: Accessing and understanding the dataset
Part 2: Manipulating the dataset
- Original dataset and data dictionary
- Exemplar task sheet (as it would be in final assessment)
- Exemplar task sheet with extra practice tasks
- Exemplar task sheet with extra practice tasks as well as hints and tips
- Exemplar task sheet with hints and tips
- Exemplar marking scheme
- Exemplar completed Word document with charts and findings
Note for educators:
The original dataset is on Figshare (short URL: http://dataed.in/DCL4Edataset). More information about the dataset and the study is available in a Nature article if you are interested.